It's That Time Again. The Worst Company in America 2012

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Kliban Nimbledigits
It's spelled KLIBAN damn it.

It's That Time Again. The Worst Company in America 2012

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/worst-co ... ement.html

I have done this match up a few times but I take special interest in this one. When EA shows up I just have to place my vote on them. EA vs Sony for the first round. Easy choice there.
Mal: Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?

Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Mal: Ain't we just.

Quote from Firefly

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Re: It's That Time Again. The Worst Company in America 2012

Post by Minute » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:29 am

Fuck EA in the ass. When they removed Madden from the PC in 2009 they lost all credibility as a company in my eyes. However there are some nice contenders on there. Bank of America for instance. Those guys suck. And Ticketmaster can eat a fucking dick too. The 'extra' charges have gotten so redonkulous my RHCP tickets were nearly double the advertised price @ the end. Pretty much all the cable/tv providers are pretty horrible too.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Arathena
kNight of the Sun (oxymoron)

Post by Arathena » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 am

Man, EA sits on that list Snidely Whiplash sits on a list containing Beezelbub, Hitler, Sauron, and Voldemort.
Archfiend Arathena Sa`Riik
Poison Arrow

Raize Na'ir Al'Saif
Fellow n00b

Post by Raize Na'ir Al'Saif » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 am

Minute wrote:Fuck EA in the ass. When they removed Madden from the PC in 2009 they lost all credibility as a company in my eyes. However there are some nice contenders on there. Bank of America for instance. Those guys suck. And Ticketmaster can eat a fucking dick too. The 'extra' charges have gotten so redonkulous my RHCP tickets were nearly double the advertised price @ the end. Pretty much all the cable/tv providers are pretty horrible too.

Fuck yes to Bank of America. Personal horror story there...

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 am

Raize Na'ir Al'Saif wrote:Fuck yes to Bank of America. Personal horror story there...
+1 to hating BofA. The company I hate most in life bought Countrywide when they went under and now those assholes own my house :(

Croinc
Put the fuckin dog in the basket

Post by Croinc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:53 pm

I voted for Citi. Citimortgage is tha debil. Foreclosed on friends of mine even though they made every attempt possible within their means to catch up on their payments. Fucking assholes.

BTW, Hi everyone! :D
Where's Ronald Reagan when you need him???

Kliban Nimbledigits

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 pm

With the poll closed for today:

Bank of America 82.54% vs Chase 17.46%

With the Sony vs EA still open:

EA 81.23% vs Sony 18.77%

Quote from Firefly

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

And why Netflix? I feel like they're coming back from the great price hike debacle. Gained almost 700,000 new customers last quarter, right?

I couldn't live without my streaming netflix.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm

I don't understand why Netflix or Target are on there, I love both those companies.

Arathena

Post by Arathena » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 am

Harlowe wrote:I don't understand why Netflix or Target are on there, I love both those companies.
Target's bullshit is ... relatively invisible to the customer. Between their union busting, and their data collection routines, I won't call them "good guys", though. But still, next to the Sith Lords of All Eternity on that list...
Poison Arrow

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 am

Harlowe wrote:I don't understand why Netflix or Target are on there, I love both those companies.
Netflix made some serious mis-steps. And they pissed off a few million loyal customers. No es bueno. But yeah, I wouldn't put them in the same Satan-laughing-in-hell category as truly evil companies like BofA or CapitalOne (who sued me and got their asses handed to them hahahaha). Or even Sony, who I swear must have actual contempt for their customers.

Target isn't so bad. They don't do much for me one way or another. Over the weekend I was going to buy a sleeping bag off their web site but the thing just wouldn't cough up the free shipping that it advertised so I went somewhere else. Kind of like Netflix, I would describe Target as more incompetent than evil. Their stores are OK I guess. They do tend to have better brands than Walmart (who is catching up though) and a few good made-in-USA brands too.

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Minute wrote:Fuck EA in the ass. When they removed Madden from the PC in 2009 they lost all credibility as a company in my eyes. However there are some nice contenders on there. Bank of America for instance. Those guys suck. And Ticketmaster can eat a fucking dick too. The 'extra' charges have gotten so redonkulous my RHCP tickets were nearly double the advertised price @ the end. Pretty much all the cable/tv providers are pretty horrible too.
I always buy tickets direct from the venue, cuts out a lot of the processing fees. Girlfriend got me Children of Bodom tickets for out 2 month anniversary and they were only like $6 more than the advertised price because she got them direct from venue.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 am

I don't see Walmart (esp those around here) coming even close to catching up with Target in any department, as far as quality and shopping experience goes in an actual store. Look in their bedding, shoes, furnishing departments and clothing. They aren't even close. Not that they are the "good guys" I'm just talking about my experience shopping and returning anything. I don't feel like I'm lost in the trailer park zone while shopping at Target.

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am

Yeah, the shopping experience in Walmart sucks. It's definitely about squeezing every last penny out of every last item - everything else (including the customer) be dammed. We use mostly Winco and Grocery Outlet now for our food. Walmart is pretty much housewares and things like that now. I'd buy a Vizio TV there, or Goodyear tires, or a Coleman tent, etc.

Using the sleeping bag as an example, I didn't find the exact one I wanted at Walmart, but I bought a similar one and it was $20 less than the nearest closest price, which was Amazon. Shipping was only $1.90 which I was amazed at. So I saved more like $18, but that's still excellent. We have Amazon Prime so it's rare when I can beat them on anything because we get free second day air shipping.

Target is more my "social" shopping store. If I'm visiting my mom and I need anything, she usually tags along when I go to Target. I wouldn't ever subject her to the shopping mosh pit that is Walmart. So shopping at Target is more like the mall, where shopping at Walmart is more like a third world country. But online, what's the difference? The best price is the best price. When I want something online, first I find the exact model of whatever I want, then I see who's selling it the cheapest...

But back to the original topic, I certainly wouldn't consider companies like Target and Walmart evil. Any company that big is going to piss lots of people off. I think the litmus test of evil to me is that there are some companies that seem to have either actual contempt for their customers or have no problem screwing them to squeeze out every last penny of profit, or both. Of course, that doesn't mean that some of these companies don't have "localized pockets of evil"...

Oops, ramblimg is easy when I type for a living ;)

Arathena

Post by Arathena » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:But back to the original topic, I certainly wouldn't consider companies like Target and Walmart evil. Any company that big is going to piss lots of people off. I think the litmus test of evil to me is that there are some companies that seem to have either actual contempt for their customers or have no problem screwing them to squeeze out every last penny of profit, or both. Of course, that doesn't mean that some of these companies don't have "localized pockets of evil"...

Oops, ramblimg is easy when I type for a living ;)
A company that grinds its employees to dust is no better than one that displays open contempt for the consumer.

I really, really, really wish I made enough money to not shop for anything at walmart - but they're undercutting the "local" grocery chains by about 30-50% on most packaged foods, and I just don't have the money to shop at the grocery chains, especially with the massive health insurance cut I took this winter.
Poison Arrow

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Me too. Health stuff is killing us too. We just covered all our yearly deductibles for all of our medications and now we're switching health providers in another month, so I'm going to be slammed with those all over again in the same year. Here's your prescriptions, sir, that'll be ..... an extra $900.

That and my son is a football player and eats like a moose. Luckily most of the team eats over at the surgeon's house. And I'm still regularly feeding about half a dozen people. I'm not paying $10 a pound for deli lunch-meat. We try to find that magical balance between quality and price and usually we don't sacrifice on either. I buy the name brand mayo. I just want the best price on it.

We actually saved that much on groceries when we had shitloads of money. Habit with kids I guess. And I know very rich people too who will hold up the line in the grocery store arguing over 50 cents. Habit for them too I guess. Really the only difference in our spending when we had money was that we just bought the $10k oak bed amd Kenmore Elite appliances and a new truck on top of the name brand mayo ;)

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 am

I've been thinking about the worst companies and it seems like to me, the worst of the worst fall into just a few categories. My $.02 for a lazy sick day.

-- Banks: BofA, Captital One, Citibank.

More indifferent than evil, these large banks would let entire communities fail just to squeeze out a few extra bucks in profit. They would let the whole country fail to squeeze out a few more CEO bonuses. To say they have contempt for their customers would require acknowledging that their customers even exist. These companies are entirely too powerful for just being a glorified container for people's hard earned money. At least this is easily solved by banking with local banks and credit unions.

-- Wireless: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile

Truly evil. They collude with each other to jack up prices and then sue local communities who try to build their own networks to try to save money. They create "astro turf" or fake grass roots orginizations for the purpose of distorting reality to their vast commercial interests. They also co-opt legitimate organizations such that it would appear that the entire world supports their interests. The gay and lesbian community? They are against community fiber (because AT&T told them to be)! Firefighters would all be unemployed if AT&T can't merge with T-Mobile, and so on.

Their plan is brilliant: Take all those subscriber dollars as pure profit and rather than putting that money back into building out their networks to handle more growth (long term thinking), they try to constrain that growth by framing the issue as really being about "hogs" that use too much data and spoil it for everyone (short term thinking). Then of course they have to switch to the holy grail of metered billing so they can afford to keep up with costs and all those government fees (most of which don't actually exist). The only problem with that is a) their obscenly-record profits and b) if metered billing were all about the fairness then people like my mom would pay $3 a month for her cell phone because she uses 10 minutes a month. It's a total scam.

-- Big Content: UMG, Viacom

Truly evil. Like the other two industries on my list, they have so much fucking money that they can literally buy whatever truth they want. They not only have open contempt for their customers, but they have a decent chance in turning the entire Internet into a commercial broadcast medium, though the internet starting to wake up.

Their plan is brilliant. Get the goverment to subsidize their refusal to adapt to market conditions. No such thing as artificial scarcity in the internet age? No problem, just distort reality. They do this the same way that wireless and banking do it. They offer public officials jobs when they leave government service in unspoken exchange for poltical favors now. As their anti-competitive and anti-consumer tactics alienate more consumers, they frame the issue as being about needing more and more protection from "thieves". So the more customers they alienate, the less people buy their product and the more they cry foul and demand more laws to prop up their failing business models. So the worse they treat their customers the more favor they end up currying with the goverment. This industry so completely distorts reality that ICE and DHS do their bidding with a complete lack of due process of law, which is guaranteed by the Constitution.

--Honorable mention: Albertson's, Home Depot, Taco Bell

Hey, here's a great idea, let's give the customer the absolute minumum level of service we can get away with. Let's just gradually give the customer less for his money until there's a revolt and then we know where to stop! Will somebody wait in line for 1/2 hour just to save $5 over another store? Let's find out! We won't lower our prices so let's give the appearance that we lowered them by just making them confusing and having all these sales that aren't really sales..

Kliban Nimbledigits

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm

1st round of the sweet 16:

Best Buy 47.69%

EA 52.31%

A close one but my horse is winning...or losing.

Quote from Firefly

Kliban Nimbledigits

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Quote from Firefly

Arathena

Post by Arathena » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm thinking Comcast vs BoA for the finals, BoA taking it. Sorry, dealing with EA is like a papercut next to the napalm dripping, tazer enhanced buzzsaw to the CNS that is Comcast, while BOA is the sword of Satan himself.
Poison Arrow