For those that are able to totally stick to one class/char

EQ-related discussion.

Moderator: Nadia

Skewert
Adventurer of Underfoot

For those that are able to totally stick to one class/char

Post by Skewert » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:44 PM

Ok, what's the secret? I've been playing EQ now for over 3 1/2 years, have played just about every class there is to a reasonable level, a few to 50+, 2 to 65+, and I've never found a class that I was totally 100% satisfied with. Not to the point where other classes abilities/tactics no longer intrigued me.

Like with my Rogue, I started playing a Rogue because I wanted to do the most Melee DPS possible. And he was fun for a while, I felt needed, and like I was making an important contribution when grouping. Then I grouped with this DE Wizzy (don't recall his name) in Plane of Nightmares way back when, and saw him getting crit after crit for like 3k+ and I was totally /drool. So I instantly made a wizard, and he's currently sitting @ level 55 with zero AA's. And has been at the same level for at least a year now.

I've /drool'd over the SK's lifetapping abilities at higher levels, with all their Soul Abrasion AA's, and super harm touch, and all that cool stuff. And I have an SK sitting @ level 54 atm.

My main question is this.... how can you play a single character, and see how sweet a wizzie crits, or how versatile a necro or bard is, or how well a shaman can solo big bad things, or beastlords, etc. and not totally have to create one of those classes to try to eventually get to that point?

Do you just remind yourself that it takes too dang long to get to the level where you can really start grinding AA's, so it's kinda pointless? Or are you actually just satisfied with your character? I can't help but want to test the waters that all the classes have to offer, and I know I suffer (to the extent I don't have one uber character) because of it. I know that's not really "suffering" and this is my way of having fun with the game. But I guess I'm /boggled how others can't feel the same way.

I just get to the point where if I play the same class over and over and over, it gets sorta monotonous, and that's when I mix it up with an alt of a different class.

Sitting here debating this evening, since I now actually have my 8th character slot free again on my main account (deleted my 18 shaman and created another on new 2nd account), whether to try to get the GM's to undelete my 46 paladin, 40 bard, or 31'ish beastlord. I'm leaning more towards the bard or beastlord, maybe the BL. But that's what gave me this idea, of my incessant need to play with the other classes.

Just dawned on me that I'm not a roleplayer to any extent, so I have very minimal ties to any of my characters on a personality front. I'm just me regardless what character I'm playing. So I realize from a RP'ers perspective, it's easier to focus on one character or personality, and live through that individual character. I guess I'm much more technical with the game, etc.
Soulrot Umbrafiend
70 Necro
Skewert
68 Rogue

Eithindyr

Post by Eithindyr » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:51 PM

You've gotta try and compare yourself with people on your level on progression, instead of comparing yourself with people way ahead of you gear- and aa-wise.

Also, if you enjoy playing your alts more than playing your main, I really don't see the problem in playing them. Sure, you'll fall behind a little bit perhaps, but at least you'll enjoy the game.

Valsharess

Post by Valsharess » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:59 AM

I had the completely opposite problem. I really tried to start new alts all the time (untill I gave up one year ago or so), but never got them higher than in the 20s, except my cleric who made it to the 40s. I don't know why, but the time spent on any my other characters just couldn't compare to the fun I had while playing Valshares. Even if I wasn't doing anything productive; Just sitting in the bazaar, or running laps around in PoK. Was still much more fun than trying to level an alt character up.
Valshares Velg'larn
Sojourners
I'm back at my cliff, still throwing things off
I listen to the sounds they make
on their way down
I follow with my eyes 'til they crash
imagine what my body would sound like
slamming against those rocks

and when it lands
will my eyes be closed or open?

Kaeaelin

Post by Kaeaelin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:55 AM

I do the exact same thing... I know just how you feel. Well, I got a 65 Necro and for the most part, I still enjoy playing him immensly. Of course, I don't get the big crits like you see with the Wizard, but I know I'm still doing plenty of damage.

The Necro's good for someone who either likes to solo or likes to play a toon that's not reliant on others - I played a Cleric as a main at first, cause I hated dying because of healers that didn't pay attention, but eventually found out it just wasn't the toon for me - which kinda sucks, as he's got a decent amount of flags, keys, and AAs.

So, I don't know - but one thing that might help, and Eithindyr pretty much already said it - is to just worry about how well you do in your particular class, and mainly pick a toon you like to play - for roleplay reasons or whatever, and just stick to it.

But I know how it goes, I've made alts many times, just because I've been quite impressed at how a particualr toon plays his/her class.

So, I got a 2nd account, the 65 Cleric can PL a great many number of alts, lol. The one class, I really wanted to play - but just hated the lower levels, is the Shammy. Once I get him to higher level, I know I will like him - plus he'll be a spectacular person to duo with a necro.

Wish I could give you - "you should play this class" answer - but not sure anyone but you could answer that question :)

If you like to do damage... The Wizard's a good class, but they become increasingly hard to find groups and level around 55ish - as you can see. My Wizard is 55 also, hehehe. Thing is, if you wanna play him - then play him, just log him on, and if you can't find a group, port people around, etc - just be on that guy, then you can group for XP whenever the opportunity arises.

Guess it's just persistance - cause for a long time, I wouldn't play any toon but my Cleric... Try to pick on you can identify with - one you like for more reasons than *just the class*. Most of the people I see playing just a single toon, for a long time seem to identify with that toon - like they are attached to them, and roleplay them. Jumping around on alts tends to make each toon seem a little less important to you, at least that's how I think of it, myself.

Partially, the thing for me is, I just like all the classes, mostly.
Kaeaelin D'varr - 65 Necro <Triad Imperium>
Queaden Xu'Crillis - 65 Cleric <Triad Imperium>

Edar Edar Edar

Post by Edar Edar Edar » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 AM

When I started EQ I knew I didn't want to be a buff whore, and tanking was usually boring with little prospect of soloing. I also was not a fan of 20 minute boat rides. I liked DPS, and the choice from there was clearly I should be a wizard. Once I hit the hell levels, and no one wanted a wiz in group, I became frustrated and made some alts. They (7 of them) got around L30, when I decided I'd have more fun at the higher end. So... back to the wizard. Since getting 70 with 350ish AA, wizard is by far my favorite for my desires. I've since played 66 pally, 65 shammy, 66 necro, 66 mage, 68 enchanter, and 58 war and a horde of under 50.

I had fun leveling all of them, but the real fun doesn't come until you invest you focus into one. You really need to ask yourself what it is you want to do in EQ, then just stick with it and get 70 and AA. Don't pick SK if all you like is HT, since main job is not HT'ing. You like the big effect of the HT, and already have a 55 wiz... level the wizard imo. Soloing, big DPS, no buffing (save spell shields) and fast transport.

aarchistut

Post by aarchistut » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:57 AM

Edar is correct but i would go with the Rogue IMHO. Warriors are the suxxors! :roll:

Kokomoto Grr'Aarchistut

Catburglar of Brell Serilis, Infiltrating Cazic Thule
Bad @ Rogue

Kyeria

Post by Kyeria » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:58 AM

I completely agree with Edar here. I too have several alts, only 1 of which made it over 65, my enchanter. Although I love my chantie to death, I just can't get "into" playing her like I can my cleric. There's a degree of self satisfaction of seeing yourself attain level 70, with XXX aa's. To know that class inside and out, and try and look for new ways to make yourself better. You just get attatched to that main class after being with it so long, its almost a replica of yourself in RL spread out in EQ through that toon for all of Norrath to see.

I also agree with the above statement, if playing alts is how you enjoy the experiences in Everquest, why stop? We all pay to play this game for different reasons. Perhaps you get tired of the constant level/aa grind and just need to relax and find a different outlet for you to enjoy. Perhaps you enjoy meeting new people and its easier through lower level characters because they aren't so afraid to go LFG like the high end guys who get into a grove with only grouping with certain people.

It all comes down to what you enjoy doing. If you really want to know what it feels like to be so completely attatched to one single toon, devote yourself to one and play it up. If this isn't something that appeals to you, who cares if you have 7 alts, at least your having fun!

Goodluck in your endeavors, I hope you continue to find your happiness.
Priestess Kyeria
70 Prelate
Cleric of Alarius

Edar Edar Edar

Post by Edar Edar Edar » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:42 AM

Rogue would also be a fine choice, I just assumed he'd like the 55 level head start.

Not having to worry about mana is nice for sustained DPS. With current spells and changes to others on the horizon, look for wizard to hold much better sustained damage in the future.

If I were to go melee, I'd pick rogue. Personally I just find it more enjoyable to have to deal with mana and the balancing of a caster.

GL with your choice.

Xaber

Post by Xaber » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:49 AM

IMO... Just pick Soloist or Group mainly for XP

Solo: Druid, Bard, Necro, Wizzy, Mage, BL

Group: War, Rogue, Monk, Cleric, Chanter, SK, Pally, Ranger

Each solo Class has the ability to group, but some will be difficult to group at lower lvls such as Necros. But not all Group classes have the ability to solo post lvl 50 (War, Monk, Cleric, Rogue have the hardest time soloing I think)

Once you get through that part all you have to pick is DPS (Wizzy, Mage, Necro), Support Class (Cleric, Chanter, BL, Bard, Druid), Melee DPS (Monk, Rogue, Ranger), or Tank (SK, Pal, War).

Should help narrow it down a lot. If you still get stuck with just 2 or 3 options decide if you plan on playing this class in high end content and check out some of the high end guilds, what are they looking for?
Also might want to consider difficulty of class and pref which is stated when you create a new char.
Last edited by Xaber on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:21 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Xaber Pet and Shadowslither
Illusion of Apathy on Cazic-Thule

Faraque Corinthar

Post by Faraque Corinthar » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:55 AM

Hey screw you buddy.. you left ranger off that list.

Fear the ranger! Rangers are powerful! I mean, look at all those hp... er wait... Oh yeah, man your AC is like super uber! It's almost on par with a wizard! Oh wait.... umm...

/sarcasm off

I've been a ranger since May 2000, and I take my time about doing most everything. Faraque is my highest level'd character, and the only closest other is a 40 cleric. I've had fun playing him because of the challenge of being on the short end of the stick in so many ways. I've stuck it out through all the crap that has been dumped on rangers because I know, playing the underdog class, and doing well at it will make me a better player than say the level 60 cleric with 4 days /played that only knows CHeal and Celestial healing... It's a challenge to do what others do and survive. I don't know if that will appeal to you or not, but if your up for a challenge, and you have a thick skin for the jokes/insults you will get, try a ranger on for size.

Xaber

Post by Xaber » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:15 AM

Lol ya after posting realized I missed em, and left Druid out of sub catagories sry lol, easily forgetable :P

Narith
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Narith » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:47 AM

Xaber wrote:IMO... Just pick Soloist or Group mainly for XP

Solo: Druid, Bard, Necro, Wizzy, Mage, BL

Group: War, Rogue, Monk, Cleric, Chanter, SK, Pally, Ranger
Just a minor correction, an enchanter actually solos a little better than they group. Granted everyone wants an enchanter for buffs and the occasional add, but with charm it is usually just as easy to level solo as it is in group.

Rangers also can solo like necros can using kite if they have the endless quiver AA, bow kiting in fire at the tables has shown to be just as effective as necros and can be applied elsewhere.

As for me I started an enchanter when there weren't many around, people said that not many people understood the role of an enchanter and therefore didn't like to play them. I started for the silly notion that people bought enchanted silver jewlery which an enchanter could make. I saw how silly that was fairly quick, but to this day I still enjoy tradeskilling... but I digress. From the low levels people wanted me in group more for breeze and later clarity than for my crowd control abilities, but this always did get me a group I geuss.

Later on when I moved into lower guk in my 30s my crowd control abilities came into demand and I liked being able to make the difference between a live group and a dead one. I liked seeing 6, 7, 8 or more mobs stacked up all under my control.

When I hit my late 40s I gave a whirl at soloing, I had become bored with lower guk so I moved out to rathe mountains and found it particurally exciting to watch one pet take on two more giants all the while keeping my distance hoping and praying charm would hold long enough and I wouldn't be squashed flat. It was incredibly exciting to me, the danger of it the risk, and the ultimate rewards that followed had I made it out alive. Now adays the game has evolved so much that the risk increased exponentially, but the rewards remained steady, people of course were upset that an enchanter could solo the named in bastion of thunder and made a large enough voice to cry out that sony stepped in and began to ruin the game for most enchanters.

By the time i leveled to 52 giants were becomming green to me (this was before light blue was added) so I decided to move on. A friend of mine said t hat the new place to go was in kunark which at the time was a fairly new expantion, he said that sebelis was the best spot and enchanters were always in high demand. So with his help I got my key and went there, it put my mezzing skills to test more so than guk did.

From Seb I moved to chardok where I had a regular group by this time. There the tank (and puller) loved testing my skills, he would pull 10 to 12 sarnaks at a time just to watch me mez them all (I hated ae mez so always used singles, still no one died).

For me there just has been no other class that could compare to an enchanter. I had the ability to kill things solo that took entire groups, I gould double the damage out put a group could do, I cut down time due to medding down to almost nothing, I could make or break a group simply by my ability to know what to mez first, I could pull solo group encounters better and faster than a monk and even faster if I chose to mez what I brought. For me being an enchanter meant I was always needed and could always solo if I wanted to be alone... To me no other class has ever compared to that.

Now a days however, enchanters have lost alot of ground. If you pull in more than 6 mobs it usually means the group will wipe of evac, not that it can't be done, but 6 mobs in say riftseekers will really put an enchanter to the test where as 12 mobs in chardok during kunark was more of a thrill. Charm has taken such a beating that it is harder and harder to solo for experience, and soon may be gone forever. Enchanters have been reduced to buff bots on most raids, but still can shine in a group if you have the talent.

No, I was born an enchanter I will die an enchanter. No class has ever put my personal skills to such a test, no class ever will, and that is why I have ever only played one class faithfully.

*As a side note, I do have a 70 ranger who I did for a few month period try to make as my main. It did not turn out well, and I discovered rangers have many limitations that enchanters do not.*

Skewert
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Skewert » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:21 AM

Just for a quick list, these are my current toons on my main account

67 Necro, 105 AA's
65 Rogue, epic'd, 41 AA's
55 Wizard
54 Monk, epic'd
54 SK, 3 AA's
51 Druid, my oldest character, just a PL bot for now
46 Ranger, with dreams of AM3/EQ

All these characters, cept for the rogue, I've leveled without any PL'ng and I've done probably 99% of it solo. I'm quite social via tells and other things, but I often find it most efficient soloing for exp (like quadding with the wizard/druid) so that's what I end up doing.

Skewert my Rogue was my main for quite a long time, and I never did find that "regular group" with him. Actually, I had a shaman/warrior nephew/aunt combo that we would trio stuff quite often, but sadly they no longer play and I really do miss having that consistant exp "group" for my Rogue, not to mention they were my closest EQ friends. I solo'd Skewert most his levels from 1-55 or so (woohoo, instill doubt kiting), and from there I mostly grouped as from 55+ I found it fairly fruitless to kill what I could with the down-time, or having to zone half the time because I was dying quicker than the mob was.

I never have made an Enchanter, well other than my /testbuffed level 25 one on Test server to play around with charm and such. They do intrigue me for their versatility, and strong soloing abilities at higher levels. Wish they had snare =( hehe. I can very much identify with, or imagine the feeling of grouping an Enchanter, and knowing that you're making a significant boost to the efficiency of your group. Via increased DPS, lowered down time via CC/buffs. I'm sure that is rewarding, and quite a challenging class to play. Just never have got around to making one that I planned to focus on.

I think a Necro is probably the closest class I've come personally to my ideal fit. As Soulrot (my necro) is the character I spend most of my time leveling these days. I can solo in places like Vxed with virtually no down-time, maybe 3-4 tics max after mobs die, and rack up an AA in like 30 minutes there sometimes on a good run, got 2 AA's in 30 mins the other day thanks to a shot of the exp potion, and a lucky streak of no summoning mobs spawning.

I guess it's saying something good about SoE's, Verant's, or whoever you wanna give credit to, on their design of the classes in this game. Most all of them have an appeal, and have some sorta unique abilities to some extent, whether it be through spells, skills, or AA's, that draw players to want to create them.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming if you have anything else to say! =)
Soulrot Umbrafiend
70 Necro
Skewert
68 Rogue

rajavengerGIA

Post by rajavengerGIA » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:31 AM

well if u like soloing go necro for kyreria i remember plvling her and befriending her in DL lol random acts of kindness = fun.

but ya first 2 years of eq i had 40 alts none above ten
then tried a warrior got to 23 deleted him to get his name for ym druid. ouldnt solo so amde a BL wasnt needed made a sahmmy. stopped paying fro eq so if u want to be eneded shammy warrior or a cleric IMO chanter too. bards wont ever be needed as there are few quality ones and are often not picked. necros for soloing are what you need. i remember u from i think arcane custodians or was it endless domain o well znon and lordhiss if u remember me good luck my friend u were always an amazing rogue
here gnomer gnomer gnomer i got a treat for u....BANG

shlim

Post by shlim » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:55 AM

:D

I have played a cleric for 6 years and never changed..i like him because
(1) always needed when i want to group
(2) I can solo whenever i want..
(3) high elf clerics are hung and get all the chicks

shlim

Annattek

Post by Annattek » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:10 AM

I played a Wizard to 30 and a Monk to 52 but when I made my Mage I knew right away Id found the right class.

Many of my friends were upset I gave up the Monk but when I found the class that fit, it was easy to forget about the rest. Since then Ive never once even thought about playing anything else or been remotely interested in alts.

Kinda all just fell into place for me and I just knew that Id quit eq before I gave up my Mage.

Even playing WoW and playing a Mage to 54 I gave it up for a Hunter so I could have a pet.

Never try to separate a Mage and their pet! :)

Bladesongs
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Bladesongs » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 AM

I have been a proud Ranger ever since August 1, 1999. I only have one mid-level alt on my 2nd account, a Shaman, who has never grouped, only been PLed by Blade.

Even through the times before EQ/AM3, I have always enjoyed playing a Ranger. We are the Swiss Army Knife of EverQuest. We do a lot of things, but none of them really well… except maybe DPS.

In the early days, Rangers died… A LOT!! (Insert your favorite Ranger joke here) But now, I am usually one of the last to die on raids and in groups since I mainly do Ranged DPS (especially on raids). I just could not see myself playing another class, not after 6 years… well… unless it was a Bard! :shock:

aarchistut

Post by aarchistut » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:38 AM

Shlim wrote:(3) high elf clerics are hung and get all the chicks
Dont let him fool ya! He been after this Pussy for years! :oops:

Kokomoto Grr'Aarchistut

Catburglar of Brell Serilis, Infiltrating Cazic Thule
Bad @ Rogue

Skewert
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Skewert » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:36 PM

shlim wrote:(3) high elf clerics are hung and get all the chicks
Yeah, and my first thought was..... if Michael Jackson was any race in Norrath, what would he be? Undoubtedly a High Elf, with their frail bodies, and pasty white skin. That alone is enough for me to avoid them like the plague, or well, like Michael Jackson.
Soulrot Umbrafiend
70 Necro
Skewert
68 Rogue

Xaber

Post by Xaber » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:49 PM

Narith mostly I mean the basics of the class, where an Enchanter and Ranger can solo well into 70 once they get to that soloing is about done for, the nice XP zones to solo in will be nearly impossible for them.
As for support class, BL and Chanter both can solo but they would do better at higher lvls grouping and faster XP providing their are groups, where as Wizzies, Mages, Necros, and sometimes Druids are able to solo (MPG, WoS, The Nest, Qvic Ghosts, RCoD etc)